Quite often it is the case that testers are the bottleneck within an agile iteration. But there is also the other side. Testers can get bored quite easily too.
A few points in my opinion why a tester gets bored.
- First of all if the mindset of the team does not correspond with the agile mindset it is hard to be an agile tester on the team.
- When an agile methodology is applied within a Waterfall/V-Model project, testing might be seen as a waste of time during an interation. Why should we test right now, there is a separate testing phase later?
- When an iteration becomse a mini waterfall where everything gets finished to the end of the iteration and testing suddenly moves from bored to bottleneck.
- Developers take too long to finish tasks.
- Developers are too busy to finish something rather than working towards finishing the right thing.
- Technical Tasks/Stories are not seen as a testable artifact although it is likely that they are going to change the functionality/behaviour of the application.
I have experienced such a situation and I believe there is more to add.
Feel free to comment on this post to share your experience/impressions.